Course bookThe recommended course book is Introduction to Data Compression by Khalid Sayood. Both the newest fourth edition (ISBN 978-0-12-415796-5) and the third edition (ISBN 978-0-12-620862-7) can be used. The third edition is also available in electronic form (see below).
Electronic booksThe third edition of Sayood's book is available in electronic form:
- Discrete Markov models (in english)
- Diskreta markovmodeller (in swedish)
- Problem collection
- Tables and formulas
- Suggested solutions for Sayood 2nd ed., ch. 2-12
- Uniform quantization of Gaussian distribution
- "A Tutorial on MPEG/Audio Compression", Davis Pan
- "A Tutorial on MPEG/Audio Compression", Davis Pan, figures
- Compendium for lab 3
- Block schedule for lab 3
- Computer lesson, quantization
- Computer lesson, predictive coding
- Computer lesson, transform coding
- Matlab files for labs and computer lessons
Lecture slidesAll lecture slides will be published here during the course.
- Slides for lectures 1-4: Introduction, lossless coding
- Slides for lectures 5-6: Quantization.
- Slides for lecture 7: Linear predictive coding
- Slides for lectures 8-9: Colour images, transform coding, subband coding.
- Slides for lecture 10: Psychoacoustics, audio coding
- Slides for lectures 11-12: Video coding.
- Slides for lecture 12: Speech coding (preliminary version)
Theoretical examplesSome of the examples that have been shown on the lectures.
- Entropies of a Markov source
- Arithmetic coding and decoding
- Linear predictive coding
- Transform coding
Practical examplesExamples of audio and image coding that have been shown on the lectures.
Informationsansvarig: Harald Nautsch
Senast uppdaterad: 2019-05-20